Re: MG reliability

To: Coupons69@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG reliability
From: JKearman@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:53:20 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-05 19:31:38 EST, Coupons69@aol.com writes:

> I am considering buying an MGB and am concerned about the reliability.  I
>  will be driving the car every day and need to know how often I should
expect
>  it to break down.  Any advice is appreciated.
>  Thanks...

I recently went through this exercise, as I contemplated the purchase of my
1972 MGB. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this mailing list at the time,
but I knew a few people who owned Bs, and drove them frequently.

First, you realize that asking that question on this mailing list is sort of
like asking the Convention of Clergymen about the existence of God, right? :>

An important consideration in the purchase of any used car, but especially an
enthusiast's car is it's running condition when you buy it, and the number of
non-standard "repairs" inflicted by the previous owner (PO or DPO, where D
never means "dear"). The hacks my car's DPO (a discredit to car owners and a
real blinking idiot) made to my car were the sole causes of unreliability.
Some of them were just plain annoying, others were downright dangerous.

Look for a car that's as close to factory configuration as possible.
Emissions systems hacked by amateurs, dashboards rewired on the fly with 5
crimp-on connectors per foot etc etc will cause you more grief than the
foulest product of the Lucas works. It's a good idea to take someone along
who really knows MGBs, because otherwise you don't know what you're looking
for. Also, buy the best car you can afford. You'll pay less in the long run
and probably get a better car if you get a real restoration, not one that was
reconditioned while it was being driven. To do the job right, you just have
to take it off the road for a while, unless you can do engine swaps during
your coffee break.

MGs seem to need a little more attention than Buicks. Are you mechanically
adept? Are you willing to commit some time at regular intervals to keep an
eye on things? The newest MGB is still more than 15 years old, and even
restored vehicles have original parts here and there. Your local
wrench-turning parts-swapping auto repair shop is probably not a good place
to take your car, as they are focused on quick, profitable repairs. It helps
to know of a conveniently located garage that will look upon  your MG as an
interesting diversion from the run of modern couches on wheels.

In almost two months I've put more than 3000 miles on my B, and it's always
gotten me home. When I first bought it I had to wiggle a fuse here and there,
and tap on a few electrical connections, to get all the lights to come on.
Fortunately I know how to do this stuff and I carry all the tools I need to
remove/replace or tighten anything I can reach while on the road. I belong to
AAA but the only time I've needed it since I bought the MG was when someone
stuck a knife into one of the tires on my Subaru (outside a theatre playing
"Last Man Standing." If you've seen the movie you'll get the irony).

Everyone should own an MG. Those who can't maintain them will park them and
the roads will be less crowded. This mailing list is a great resource for
info and parts. If you don't mind tinkering a little I think you'll find an
MGB as reliable as any car its age, and a helluva lot more fun than a Buick
(my generic term for all the other junk on the road, not counting sport
utility vehicles, pickup trucks and anything with a KIX 97.9 bumper sticker
on it).

Cheers,

Jim