Re: Spax tube shock conversion

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Spax tube shock conversion
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 18:53:02 -0800
Jurgen Hartwig wrote:

> Ohhh, I'm so excited since my shocks just got here today.  I can't wait
> to put them on my B.  I'm replacing the rear shocks and leaf springs on
> my '70 MG tomorrow.  Does anyone have any hints for me?  I just have a
> general idea of how to do it.  I just figure I need to jack the rear end
> up and start unbolting everything(after the car is supported very well
> of course).  Has anyone done this work before?  If so, how did you
> approach it?
>
> Also, if there is any interest, I'd be happy to report on how my car
> handles after the conversion.  Is it really worth it?  I hope.  I don't
> know if my opinions should have much weigth, since my leaf springs are
> shot to the point that they no longer are elliptical(in fact they bow
> down instead of up).  And my right rear shock is leaking.  It corners
> like a beast though, since it's so low to the ground.
>
> I could compare my '70s ride compared to my '78 B, but that wouldn't do
> be any justice.  The older car is light years ahead of the newer one.
> Damn those Brits.  They ruined a perfectly good car when they decided to
> put rumber baby bumpers on those cars.
>
> I'll keep you guys updated.
> Later
> Jay

Jay:

You WON'T BE SORRY about ridding yourself of those antiquated tube
shocks.  I converted my '67 Gt to tube shocks several years ago.  That,
in combination with urethane bushings made a tremendous difference in
the handling of the car!  I definitely would not replace your
rear springs with the stock MG soft rubber bsuhings.  Otherwise, you'll
be back at this job in a couple of years.

OUr club is going autocrossing this Sunday at the new SCCA racetrack
(ThunderHill Racepark) in Willows, CA from 8:30AM to 4PM.  For $25, you
get a total of 6 runs and LUNCH!  What a deal!

Jay, you'll be ready to autocross soon, too!

Cheers,

Jim Boyd
         "the fire sale of quality used MGB parts continues..."