Re: MG life in Alaska

To: Sheree.Wegeng@carle.com, BarneyMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG life in Alaska
From: car@texas.net (Carol )
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:36:07 -0600 (CST)
Sheree.Wegeng@carle.com wrote:

>The following have expressed interest in a trek to Alaska.

[snip]

>car@texas.net (Carol )

'car' would stop just short of "killing" to trek back up to Alaska, but she
doesn't know what her job situation will be at that time. Now, OTOH, if
'car' wins the lottery, she'll likely spring for the trip...maybe even with
a contingent of motorhomes for "lodging!" Not likely...  :-)

>Carol seemed pretty addament that we be there June 20-21. And you
>indicated a willingness to depart Seattle on June 14th. Will that
>give us enough time to reach Alaska by the 19/20th?

I watched the "Midnight Sun" from a mountain top in Dawson City, Yukon
Territory, Canada. I can't put my hand on my atlas at the moment, but... I
know for sure, that IS in Canada! <g>  I just don't know how far from
Seattle that is.

Something else you all need to WATCH OUT FOR: The Airstream travel bunch, or
any other group of trailers!! We found the "lead guys" in one camp site, and
made bloody sure we stayed at least a day ahead of the 150 or so Airstreams!
Can you imagine passing 150 vehicles in tow??!!  At the time I was there,
much of the Alcan was very dusty.

Just a thought here...

The original idea was to go in '98.  It's already almost the end of 1996.
Someone mentioned taking the Alaska State Ferry back to Seattle (or
Vancouver).  I don't know how many ferries they have now, but...getting a
person and a VEHICLE is not like getting on a city bus!!

Reservations must be made a year or so in advance! No kidding...

The state of Alaska has an EXCELLENT ferry system, and if nothing else I
sure do recommend the trip from Valdez to Whittier. (The "local travel"
ferries were not that booked up and we got on the day after we got to Valdez.)

BUT, the long inner passage hauls up to Alaska are pretty well booked up!

Check with the state. Write them. They sent me a BIG manilla envelope full
of information, including departure dates and times for the ferry system.
The system MAY have more ferries in operation now. But I'm sure it's still a
"supply and demand" situation.

The ferry  I was on held about 350 cars, plus xx buses and tractor trailers
carrying goods up to the hinterlands!

If you want to take pets, you can if you have a vehicle, and they let you
take the pets for walks in "designated areas" three times a day -- at set times.

>Now while I seem to have had a part in staring this, I really had in
>mind a trip in '98. But...I'm flexable.

See above!!

>Rob, are you and your friend John interested in coordinating with
>the rest of us?
>
>Is this a camping trip or do we need to plan ahead enough to make
>motel reservations?
>>>I'm not big on camping, I will if I have to, but only if there's a shower.
>Barney loves to camp, though. I've been to Canada several times & Alaska once,
>soI know a little about traveling up there....Sheree Wegeng

Carol's opinion:

The only way to go is to camp! I saw places that you could never see if you
were stuck with a "we have to be 'so-and-so' by 2 p.m." Eagle, AK was one of
the biggest treats in my life! Ninety miles in and ninety miles out. Camped
on the way in by a creek. Went on into Eagle the next day, visited, decided
to camp at same place that night. That was the last vantage point to see the
Yukon River, and (trust me!) I know why people write and sing about it! Now,
I do.    Does the 90-mile statement give you a "clue" as to the state of the
road?! It was rocks about the size of softballs...

The hotels/motels may be more prolific, now, but still not in the "neater"
places to see. I was in Anchorage for about an hour...long enough to get a
filter for my camera. The rest of the trip was on the road. I'm not crazy
about primitive camping, either, but... It was worth every tiny bit of any
discomfort that I could have dwelled upon -- had I chosen to do so!!

Staying in motels/hotels there is like taking a cruise...the roads become
limited to the vehicle and to the traveller.

OK..."Preaching Mode OFF!"

>Carol, you say: "Buy a copy of the most recent "Milepost." That's
>a book about travelling Alaska (and, I think, Western Canada). Has
>all the latest roads, conditions, etc. It's published annually. Do
>you know when it's published? I assume it's available through any
>good book store?

I am sure it is. If it's not on the shelf, it can be ordered. Readily available.

I used mine for my "journal". It still has my notes and pressed wildflowers,
napkins, other little "souvenirs" in place. I revisit it ever so often....

>Well, I think that's a recap of things to date. So folks where do we
>go from here?
>
>Dick :>)

Well.... to Alaska, of course, Silly!! <g>

Carol
500% Texan!!