Re: MG life in Alaska

To: bleckstein@monmouth.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG life in Alaska
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:46:26 -0800
At 11:14 PM 11/15/96 -0500, you wrote:
>300 miles a day is ambitious on parts of the route. If this gets serious,
>someone should be elected chairperson and speak to the organizer of the NEMGTR
>trip in 1988. They really examined the route, planned well, knew what support
>they needed and the availability of accommodations. I understand the last
>hundred or two miles to the artic circle was dirt roads!

Mike is right.  I didn't want to burst anyones bubble with the enthusiasm
building as it is.  The simple fact of the matter is that some sections of
the road are about as far from an interstate as one can get!  I personally
have never driven this route but I know lots who have and plan to pick their
brains thoroughly.  The highways from Vancouver to Dawson are mostly
secondary roads but I believe they're pretty good.  After that it gets a
little dicey.  Just to put it in perspective:  A popular novelty for
tourists in the area is a bumper sticker that reads" I drove the Alaska Hwy.
Yes, dammit!  BOTH WAYS!"  These are usually seen on large, dirty pickup
trucks with campers and cracked windsheilds.  (David and Barney may need to
look into fitting larger bumpers)

I'll do a little research here over the next couple days and report back
with typical road conditions for mid June.  I'd love for this to come
together but I do think we should get some of the "down-side" out in the open.
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT