Re: Measure of enthusiasism?

To: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Measure of enthusiasism?
From: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 20:08:55 -0500 (EST)
I'll probably regret writing this, but here goes:

I've been in the hobby 20 years. I have nine MGs. I don't care for racing,
autocross and have limited feelings for car shows. I'm nuts about the cars, the
people, the history and tradition of MG and understand others' likes and
dislikes in the hobby. I certainly am not designated to condemn anyone for
their
special interest or views.

I have seen some crash into the hobby like a comet and enter every show and
event until it becomes all consuming. Two or three years later they are gone.
They did that, they have been there, there is nothing left.

I started with a TD ,and attended local club meets for two years before I ever
heard of the NEMGTRegister. Then I attended a GOF or two. Slowly I got to know
the people, the History of MG and aquired another car or two (a BGT and a TC)

Suddenly in 1986 I was swept up into the Ocean to Ocean trip and for 19 days I
didn't see my wife or kids, the longest separation ever in our thiry years of
marriage.  I soon was in charge of the Circuit of Britain and almost four years
of endless work went into it. My wife did twice as much as me and she can't
drive stick!

I have now gone on five extended trips, two with my wife, two with my sons. I
have missed three. I believe I am an enthusiast with out being a fanatic.

In the NEMGTR there is a fellow named Izzy Ramos. His TD has been apart for 15
years, and he has no other MG. Yet he works on every GOF and devotes hundreds
of
hours to the hobby. Is he an enthusiast, I think so.

I think the Ramoses of this world who stick with the hobby and devote
themselves
over long years are more valuable to all of us then those who arrive on the
scene, devour the hobby and are gone.

If you like to polish your car and nothing else, thats fine. I once spent a
lovely English evening going through a grave yard looking for Captain Eyston
grave. Nuts? Probably. That was however important to me.

Anyone on this list who has been on it more than a month, is somewhat of an
enthusiast just doing that.

Please, we must respect every aspect of this hobby, and no one has the right to
judge the commitment and inner feelings of the other.

David, you are usually entertaining, witty, and an asset to this list. Time
however will be the ultimate test of enthusiasm. And no, I am not angry at you.

Mike