Re: Ignition warning light won't go off!

To: felixksw@leland.stanford.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition warning light won't go off!
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:40:25 -0500
Felix,

Rest assured, you have a problem.

I drove my '73 MGB with a similar symptoms for a month or two a while back.
Apparently, the alternator was putting out something.

There's three things you might do:

1. You might do a voltage check across the battery. Should be about 14 volts
at 3300 RPM.

2. If you put an ammeter in series with the alternator output. It ought to
meet any load (turn on those lights, heater, wipers) up to 34 amperes at
about 3300 RPM.

3. A hydrometer is also very useful IF you've got a battery (or batteries)
that aren't sealed. A fully charged battery (each cell) should be between
1.210 and 1.230 specific gravity.

Oh yea, check that fan belt for tightness before you start any of the above.
That first splash of water in the rain, might have just started the belt
slipping. Never overlook the simple solution.

By the way, when I added A/C to my B last summer, I changed out that stock
Lucas 34 amp alternator for a '84-'85 RX-7 65 amp unit (has built-in
regulator). Mounts and hooks up nearly the same as the original with almost
twice the output.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget