Re: ignition warning light won't go off!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ignition warning light won't go off!
From: Felix Wong <felixksw@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:31:13 -0800 (PST)
Just wanted to thank the numerous people who gave me advice
on my alternator/idiot light problem.  I wish I could have
replied earlier but have been overwhelmed by numerous projects...

Anyway, I tested the voltage as the car was running, and it
seemed to be normal (~15V).  I took out the alternator on Wednesday,
disassembled it, and cleaned it thoroughly.  Lots of iron fillings
near the rotor.  After careful inspection I found no loose solder
joints; in fact, those were some of the beefiest solder joints I have
ever seen!  I put it back in the car.  Not surprisingly, as I really
didn't do much, still have the same problem...

The total episode wasn't all a waste, though, as I also
unbolted/stripped/primed and repainted various engine parts
(e.g., air pump manifold, air pump & alternator pulleys, thermostat
housing) in the original M.G. engine red (from Moss).  Looks
fantastic and the paint has held up well so far under those
high temperatures...

So, for the record, my idiot light has been on for 3 weeks now, but my
B just keeps on going!  I am pushing my luck, but I take my chances.
I just remembered I have another Lucas alternator somewhere, so I
will try that one while I bring the old one to an electrician
for testing.  I will solve this problem!

      __        Felix Wong             Palo Alto, California
      |,\_O    (415)528-9768 [pager]
   ( )/ LL     http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~felixksw/
        ( )    '69 B, '92 C'dale 3.0 R (stiff, light, and FAST)
   Fw = mg                   "Safety fast!"