Re: MGB GT 1967 /demand ?

To: David Deutsch <drded@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: MGB GT 1967 /demand ?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 08:24:06 +0000
David Deutsch wrote:

> You wrote:
> >
> >In a message dated 97-01-01 14:22:14 EST, you write:
> >
> ><<  Also please bare in mind that the 67 BGT is
> > far and away the most sought after model. If you know anyone
> currently
> > seeking one pass info along. Safety Fast, David Deutsch     >>
> >
> >Dave,
> >         Could you please elaborate on why the 67 BGT is the most
> sought
> >after model.  I assume you mean of GT's.  Just curious.
> >                                   Bill in Colorado   73 BGT
> >

> I personally don't have any interest in a BGT what so ever, If I want
> to drive something British with a hood "top" I'll be driving the Austin
> wagon (soon as it runs). That being said, apparently high desirerablity
> of the 67 GT stems from it being the last  metal dash production year
> and non emmission stuff year. Safety Fast, David Deutsch

I can't squeeze nearly as much wisdom out of as little knowledge as
David, but I can add a few opinions.

The first 'GT' was a 1966 model but very few were made that year and
made available for the US. In 1967, there was full production. Therefore
there is a certain rarity in the US to have a metal dash GT. (In the
mother country, they kept the metal dash for many more years).

The metal dash itself has classic looks. I always thought the metal dash
had much more function than the "Abington Pillow" padded dash. It has a
true glove box and the controls were all laid out across the dash with
neat (and unlabled) toggle switches. With the metal dash car, the center
vent and heat vents make a little more sense as they weren't hidden by
the padded dash and console.

There is the emissions thing also, but for 1968, they changed to the
4-synchro transmission and had plans for automatics so they enlarged the
size of the transmission hump in the interior. Thus the '67 GT seems
more spacious without the intrusion of the transmission.

It was also the last year of the low-back seats. These also provided
more 'openess' to the cabin as the view to rear wasn't obstructed by the
headrests.

Externally, the '67s had the rounded tail lights and the flanks weren't
cluttered with the side marker lights.

All of this it true for the '67 B Roadster also, but they aren't nearly
as rare as a metal-dash 'B' as the roadster was out since 1963.

Bob Allen, '69MGC/GT, '75TR6
--
*** STANDARD DISCLAIMER
*** Please assume all lines end with smiley face emoticon :-)