Re: air compressor lines

To: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: air compressor lines
From: Rick Hoefle <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 19:47:30 -0500
Jarl/Carol wrote:

> FWIW, I built my "home" shop about 15 years ago. I used PVC pipe to run
> a line from my garage (where the compressor lives) to the (separate)
> shop building and throughout the shop - which is 96 feet long - plus
> various "drops" to outlets. The ONLY problem I've had came after about 5
> years, a coupling slowly came unglued and pushed apart, surely my own
> fault. I used schedule 40 and run my max pressure setting at 110 PSI.
> The only worry I've considered lately is whether the water that collects
> occasionally in the lowest part of the outside pipe might freeze and
> crack the pipe, but then, our min. temp. is around 26 degrees...
> Jarl

Jarl:
Just for your peace of mind, freezing of collected water will not crack
the pipe unless the collected water has pretty much closed the pipe and
is therefore trapped, in which case it will simply expand and ruin the
weakest part of the pipe.  That said, I would recommend that you install
a removable drain plug at the lowest point(s) so that you can
periodically let the water out before it becomes a problem.  Since you
used PVC, I expect that this would be only a minor nuisance.

Cheers.
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
            1969 MGC            - HERS