Burned Big Time

To: Bill Schleusner <b-schleusner@ti.com>
Subject: Burned Big Time
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:44:44 -0800
Bill,
      I don't have any tips about buying a GT long distance, but some
comments on the quality you may find out there.  Unfortunately, many people
have cars which they don't want to part with for sentimental reasons.
These cars sit outside, uncovered for some period of time, because the
owners have every intention of restoring them when they get a little extra
money.  Somehow, the time/money thing never materializes.  The cars begin
to rust, and it doesn't seem worth it to fix every little mechanical thing
which goes wrong.  However, when it comes time to sell, as you're never
going to get around to fixing up the MG, you still have all those
sentimental attachments which raise the price in your eyes.  I recently
looked at a 1964 Fiat 600 which my daughter had eyes for, the car had sat
outside (I believe) since then and had several large rust holes.  The
upholstery was shot, and the man stated it would be good for local driving.
He wanted $2500.00 for a car which I might give you $500.00 for.  It meant
something to the guy selling it.  Needless to say, I've now talked my
daughter into buying a nice little convertible MG with me, and we could
rebuild it as a mother/daughter project!  I've had my 1971 GT for 14 years
now, and it retired to a certain extent as a daily driver 1 1/2 years ago.
It was old, I thought it needed a new engine, and the kids were too big to
fit in the back anymore.  One day, I noticed it was beginning to get some
surface rust, so asked for a paint job for my birthday.  Best thing I ever
did.  Otherwise, I think I would have a car like you're looking at now.
Still needs work, but its such a joy to drive. Anyway, keep looking, and if
you see a early convertible, let me know.

Nina Barton
1971 MGBGT