Re: Regarding Weber Fuel Economy -Reply

To: britcars@juno.com
Subject: Re: Regarding Weber Fuel Economy -Reply
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:09:38 -0800
At 03:29 PM 3/11/97 EST, you wrote:

>Enough Zenith bashing!!!  When they are rebuilt properly (remember, the
>youngest on an MGB - recent repros not included - is 17 years old) and
>set up properly, they work quite well!

SNIP

>It starts, idles and drives nicely. Obviously, less all-out power than an
>early B but still, I believe this experience suggests that a Z-S carb
>does not have to be consigned to the paperweight category.....

Lawrie,

While I respect your knowledge and experience I wonder about this: "quite
well"- no, "adaquately"- maybe.

  I bought a `76 B brand new, maintained it as per the owners manual, had it
in for all warranty service checks and never spared any expense.  When the
warranty expired I pulled off the 1 year old, professionaly maintained and
tuned Zenith and installed a set of 13 year old, untuned HS4's and manual
choke of dubious provenance from a `64 wreck. With no fussing around I
jumped in and started it up. Just like that.  Wait for the bowls to fill -
pull the choke - turn the key and vroom!  I swear it started better that
very first time with the SU's than it EVER had with the Zenith.  A quick
tune up and synchronization check and away I went with a seemingly whole
different car, never looked back. Never will.

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT