Re: Smogging the B

To: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Subject: Re: Smogging the B
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:17:54 -0800
>The smogger knows perfectly well that it is the same
>car that was yesterday's "gross polluter". The car then limps back to
>the MG shop, first gear all the way of course, and is then retuned so it
>runs fine. Of course, if it went back to the smog shop, it would have
>been transformed, like Cinderella. back into a G/P. Is this crazy or
>what?

No, it's not crazy.  The car that was yesterdays gross polluter has been
turned into a legal car.  No crazyness about it.  Just as yesterdays
illegal car with the missing windshield can be transformed into a legal
car by installing a windshield today.

As for why the car runs so badly to pass emissions, that's another story.

>I'm still curious how the B's ever passed smog when they were newer,
>like in the 70s. Have the ppm specs been upped over the car's original
>emissions???

No, they've dropped because of the cars age.  If I'm remembering right,
the current tailpipe standards are roughly 20 times lower in CA then
they were for manufacturor inporting back then.