Re: No start, Alternator?

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Subject: Re: No start, Alternator?
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:37:46 -0700
PHILIPPE TUSLER wrote:

> >When you jump start your car you are bypassing the cable that connects
>  your two 6 volt batteries together.  If this wire was "open" there would
>  be no path for the current to flow from your batteries and your
>  alternator would not be able to charge.  Take a close look, I'll bet you
> <find it open.
>
>   My vote goes for this, too.  I'll bet that set-up mechanic #1 disconnected
> the battery cable under the seat and that close-up mechanic #2 had no idea
> where the batteries were, or looked at 6v battery number 2 and didn't
> notice that the cable to battery number 1 was disconnected OR
>  In installing the muffler they touched, moved or broke the battery
> ground strap, not even thinking that the batteries were back there.
>
> Let us know what it turns out to be....
>
> ************************************************************************>
>*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
> *A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
> *InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*
Only one problem here.  Don't believe you car will run without a battery
in the electrical circuit.  If there's an open in the battery-battery
connection, I suspect the engine would die as soon as you disconnected
the battery being used to jump start the car.  Now, if you had a magneto,
that's a different story....

BTW, please correct me if I'm wrong here (as if this list needs an
invitation like that!)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/