Re: No start, Alternator?

To: schooler@erols.com
Subject: Re: No start, Alternator?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:27:22 EDT
On Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:37:46 -0700 Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
writes:
SNIP
>Only one problem here.  Don't believe you car will run without a
>battery
>in the electrical circuit.  If there's an open in the battery-battery
>connection, I suspect the engine would die as soon as you disconnected
>
>the battery being used to jump start the car.  Now, if you had a
>magneto,
>that's a different story....
>
>BTW, please correct me if I'm wrong here (as if this list needs an
>invitation like that!)
>
>--
>*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
>*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/
>*schooler@erols.com *Editor of The Spark
>*69 B/GT, 53 TD     *Web Page Coordinator

HIGHLY UN-TECHNICAL RESPONSE FOLLOWS:

Bill,
  Nope you don't need a Magneto.  with a good alternator, the car will
continue to run, as the main power lead from the alternator connects
directly to the positive cable at the solenoid. Thus, while the alernator
is "charging", the system is supplied with sufficient current to operate.

  Once the ignition is turned off, and the engines stops, no more
current, no more power - she won't crank.
  Kiddies, don't try this at home!. Running the alternator with the
battery out of the circuit can fry the alternator. It doesn't have a feed
back of voltage from the battery, and being a dumb piece of inert matter,
assumes the battery is dead and cranks up the output to max to "charge
the battery, still no voltage from the battery, stays at max - Result?
loss of electrical smoke from the alternator and the golden opportunity
to go out an purchase a new alternator.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget