Re: No start, Alternator?

To: engel@metro.net
Subject: Re: No start, Alternator?
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 15:31:11 EDT
On Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:20:37 -0700 Engelhardt <engel@metro.net> writes:
>Wade Shanley wrote:
>>
>> could you describe to me where the ground strap is?
>
>On my car the strap is near the left hand motor mount...may be
>different
>on yours. You should check for ANY loose wire connections.
>
>Ron
>58 MGA

Wade,
  There are at least two ground straps on a B, and previous owners may
have installed one or more additional.  At the battery (batteries) there
is one strap (or wire) that goes to a part of the body and is bolted
there. Subject to all the dirt and road salt that happens to not land on
the fuel pump, all the connections around the battery are worth undoing
and re-doing. Remove the -- negative wire before you start any messing
around with any of these, of course.  At the engine there is at least one
ground strap that connects the engine to the body. A sign that this strap
isn't well connected is when the throttle cable gets hot and melts the
plastic cover off, just before it seizes or burns in half. Check this
also.
  I forgot about my experience with the starter solenoid about 12 years
ago. It did the same thing or, rather, didn't do the same thing, since
nothing happened when the key was turned.  I recall that in my MG
Official Factory workshop manual there was an addendum to the starter
section. Alas, the addendum was some pages past the point at which it
said to cut some wires; the addendum made it clear that these wires were
not to be cut.... Took me about 40 phone calls to find a shop that could
weld them back together.
  Good luck with this challenge. It's going to be something simple, once
you find it.