Re: Tire Removal - is it possible

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Removal - is it possible
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:06:50 -0700
Adrian Jones wrote:
> Is it possible to get the tire off, fix/ replace the inner tube and replace
> the tire on my own?

Yes, you have to get both beads into the center of the tire, then you
can move the whole tire off center enough to pry one side off, then
work around the rim. A piece of duct tape wraped around the rim can
lesson the chance of marring the rim. Use liquid soap as a lubricant.
I've never done a tire with a tube. Getting it off should be the same,
but putting one on without damaging the tube sounds like a real pain.
I did tubes with a few motorcycle wheels, but I just can't do it as
well as the professionals.
NAPA has a good selection of tire/tube patches. Some of these can be
used as a quick fix for convertible tops too!

> Of course I would need to get a set of tire
> irons (do they still sell those things)

NAPA might, but most motorcycle shops do too. The motorcycle ones
are shorter, but they'll work.

> What do you think?   Is it a real pain in the butt?

Big pain in the butt. The local tire place charges $3 for a dismount
and $1 for tire disposal. When I think of removing my own tires I
think "is this worth saving $3?".

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"