Re: Automobile future, was FW: 2022

To: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>,
Subject: Re: Automobile future, was FW: 2022
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:48:58 -0500
The CIA forced Jay to write comments below...

At 11:21 AM 6/30/97 -0700, EMILY COWEN wrote:
>Hi Simon Bosworth!!
>
>On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Simon Bosworth wrote:
>
>> the road in our cars with re-wound motors and hi-performance power
>> controllers :).  LBC content - just imagine a car powered SOLELY by
>> Lucas components. Makes the mouth water doesn't it.
>
>My company tried out electric forklifts, and got one for a trial period.
>
>One graveyard shift, things were quiet, and boring for the drivers, so
>they arranged a few drag races between the propane powered Hysters, and
>Clarks, and the new kid on the block.

>The electric forklift blew the doors off the propane jobs, both
>acceleration wise, and top end.

I'm not surprised.  Electric work horses have been around
a long time.  They've got it working right.

>No, my company didn't buy the electric machines because the recharge
>time was too long, so they'd have to buy either extra battery packs, or
>extra machines.

Many companies have done this.  I've seen where they use both.  When new
plants go up, they have the tendancy to buy more electric.

>TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who thinks propane power is impressive: 5 yr
>engine life -24 hrs per day, 5 days per week, plus weekend overtime
>shifts app. 30,000 to 32,000 hrs at app 10 mph; or faster)

I to am impressed with Propane.  I did a bunch of research to convert my 89
nissan 2.4L FI truck to burn Propane, until I got the cost to do so.  Then
I thought I'd stick with gas.  This was less than a year ago.

I remember changing the oil in a truck for a fellow one summer.  I pulled
the plug and the oil came out as clean as it was being poured right out of
a new can of oil.

I stuck the plug back in and went to the owner and said the oil is clean
and fresh and did he really want me to change the oil?

The owner said that the truck had 20K miles on the batch of oil!  He said
that it's that clean because he burns propane.  The oil was Mobil one
synthetic.

--
Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
jpquinn@cyberramp.net