Re: CD player (was Questions

To: MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: CD player (was Questions
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:47:36 -0500
Perhaps there are those that think that everyone in a twelve block radius
should hear the music they are listening to (or more importantly, that a
car that thumps attracts females, kind of like that rabbit in the movie
"Bambi"), but I find it rather amusing that someone would spend major
dollars putting high performance audio equipment in a car that has the
road noise and downright horrendous acoustics of an MG.

This solution wouldn't work for the "thump" crowd, but what I did was
hook up some ear "buds" (those things you stick in your ear, like on a
Sony walkman) to the tape deck in my MGA.  It is wired so the (admittedly
low-buck) speakers are cut out when they are plugged in.  Since the
"buds" are of high quality and the sound is right in your ear, the
overall quality of the sound is pretty good.  Of course, the range is
limited on the low end.    A bonus is that they block out a good bit of
outside wind and engine noise, although they let in enough outside noise
(versus full-fledged cover-the-ears headphones) so they are not
dangerously exclusive of what is going on around me.   Unfortunately,
this solution may be illegal in some states that ban the use of
headphones by drivers.

Just my $0.02, which is about twice what I paid for my speakers ;-)

David Littlefield
Houston, TX