Re: CD player (was Questions

To: simjason@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: CD player (was Questions
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:36:19 -0500
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:44:35 -0400 "Jason F. Dutt"
<simjason@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>Illegal or not, it's generally not a particularly good idea to plug
>your
>ears with nylon and plastic while driving...

I agree, although I did say that I believe that the ear buds "are not
dangerously exclusive of what is going on around me. "   They are
designed to let in outside noises (I think they were orginally part of a
"sport" walkman that was designed for joggers who didn't want to get hit
by cars they never heard).  The ones I use don't mask car noises any
worse than playing a stereo would.

>Remember:  what we're
>after
>here is audibility and quality.

And I agree those are great things to have.  My point, although perhaps
not well made, is that there is a point where the quality (and expense)
of the equipment will not be able to overcome the inherent shortcomings
of the acoustic environment.  So why spend the money?  But who am I to
judge, when I've got two antique, obsolete MG's sitting in the garage
when a Honda gets me around just fine ;-)

David Littlefield
Houston, TX