Re: bushings and bearings

To: car@texas.net
Subject: Re: bushings and bearings
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 16:26:48 EDT
On Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:27:29 -0500 Carol <car@texas.net> writes:
>Hi, Chris (and other inquiring eyes...)!
>
>I have a simple question, since I'm sort of a safety nut... well,
>maybe
>just a nut.... maybe just simple . .. but anyway...
>
>Is it really safe to put a jack under the spring pan while working on
>the
>bushings? I have also read messages that talk about a clamp to hold
>the
>springs...
>
>I guess I have visions of this huge spring doing something ugly to
>someone
>under the car if it decided to get a bit cattawampus while the jack
>was on
>it...
>
>???
>
>Carol
>

>At 08:27 AM 8/7/97 -0400, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
>>robert williford wrote:
>>>
>>>    i'm planning on changing pads, rotors, shoes, amd brake hoses
>this
>>> weekend.  while i've got the front hubs off, i'm planning to
>replace the
>>> worn a-arm bushings with v-8 bushings.  is this simply a matter of
>>> supporting the spring pans to compress the springs, removing the
>>> worn bushings, and installing the new ones?  i can't find a section
>on
>>> the procedure either in the haynes or factory workshop manual.
>while
>>> it seems a straightforward job, i'd appreciate any advice on
>problems
>>> i may encounter...     (BTW, its a 73 'b)
>>>    i have also found that the rear axle shaft needs a new seal.
>the
>>> drivers side rear brake assy. is coated with grease, and the wheel
>>> cylinders aren't leaking--its definately not brake fluid.  how
>difficult
>>> is the shaft to remove?  will i be able to remove it and re-install
>it
>>> by hand, or is a special tool needed?  i'm planning on having a new
>>> bearing presssed on as well. again, any advice is appreciated...
>>> appreciated...
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> -robert williford
>>>  1973 MGB
>>

>>Robert-
>>
>>I don't think you will be able to replace the bushings with out
>dropping
>>the coil springs.  You can accomplish this by using a floor jack to
>>support the spring pan, while removing the bolts that connect the
>spring
>>pan to the lower A-Arms.  Jack the car up, put it on jack stands,
>then
>>move your jack under the spring pan.  You want a small amount of
>>pressure on the springs (to hold the jack in place).  After removing
>the
>>sway bar link and three remaining bolts, you can carefully lower the
>>jack, and drop the pan/spring.  At this point you can easily remove
> [...]
Carol,
  You've got a good point.
 As far as using the floor jack to compress the spring, it's safe as far
as it goes.
 Each time I remove a spring on the B, I use a hefty section of chain and
loop it through the spring and around a handy frame member. Thus, should
something slip, the spring isn't going to go flying about the shop with
possibly painful results.
 IMOH, any time you are working with compressed springs, some form of
retention should be used, as the compressed spring has a LOT of energy
just looking for a place to be released.  I for one don't want to be on
the receiving end!
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget