Re: bushings and bearings

To: "Rick Morrison" <gofastmg@juno.com>, <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: bushings and bearings
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 20:39:49 -0400
This discussion started with MGBs, so I'm not sure the following technique
would apply, but here's what I did when I needed to remove the front
springs on my Midget --  I believe this procedure was in the workshop
manual.
I got two long threaded bolts the same size as the spring pan bolts and
about 6 inches long each.  I removed two of the four bolts attaching the
spring pan to the lower control arm, in opposite corners, then inserted the
long bolts and screwed down the nuts as far as they would go.  Then I
removed the other two spring pan bolts.  By unscrewing the nuts from the
long bolts a little at a time, the tension on the spring was completely
released before the nuts got to the end of the long bolts.   The spring can
then just be lifted out.  "Installation is a direct reversal of removal".

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 ("Resting" the last 10 years)
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt."  -- Mark Twain