Re: bushings and bearings

To: car@texas.net, saschris@flash.net
Subject: Re: bushings and bearings
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 00:53:26 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-07 11:24:27 EDT, car@texas.net (Carol) writes:

> Is it really safe to put a jack under the spring pan while working on the
>  bushings? I have also read messages that talk about a clamp to hold the
>  springs...
>
>  I guess I have visions of this huge spring doing something ugly to someone
>  under the car if it decided to get a bit cattawampus while the jack was on
>  it...

This procedure you describe is really quite dangerous , in my opinion.  I've
torn down the front end in my 64 at least twice and am VERY careful when
removing or installing the coil springs. They are  under a lot of pressure
and is a strong spring...they tend to last a long time because of their
strength for normal road use.

I completely remove the spring very slowly. Jack up the springpan and keep
tension on the pan while you remove the 4 pan bolts very slowly.  you may
even want to place a jackstand under the pan in case the jack slips or you
knock it.  When all 4 bolts are withdrawn, (you may have to drift the last
one out) then SLOWLY lower the pan assembly and the spring will release.

I would only work on pan bushings with a-arms on the workbench, in fact, if
you go Nylatron or V8 ,I don't believe you can press them in under the
conditions you describe.

Your comment about the spring possibly going cattywampus under the right
conditions ids true. BTW, I'd like to know if someone has found a good coil
spring compressor that works under the B front end... the unit in VB doesn't
seem to fit ...it is too big.  Anyone got an ideawhere I could find such a
unit?  It would make this job more pleasant although after a few front ends,
it does go a little faster.

Bruce Durgin
64 B