Re: bushings and bearings

To: robert williford <RDWILLI@vm.sc.edu>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: bushings and bearings
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 03:35:27 -0400
At 11:53 PM 8/6/97 EDT, robert williford wrote:
>   i have also found that the rear axle shaft needs a new seal.  the
>drivers side rear brake assy. is coated with grease, and the wheel
>cylinders aren't leaking--its definately not brake fluid.  how difficult
>is the shaft to remove?  will i be able to remove it and re-install it
>by hand, or is a special tool needed?  i'm planning on having a new
>bearing presssed on as well. again, any advice is appreciated...
>appreciated...

since everyone else has taken care of your bushing problem, I'll bite on the
rear oil seal; you don't have to take the shaft out of the transfer to
replace
the oil seal; just remove your brake drum and such until you have exposed the
oil seal.  You remove the plate that the oil seal resides in and replace it.
The replace the plate and reassemble the drum.  This job should take you
about 3-4 hours or so if you decide to clean everything up and replace the
shoes.

May I ask why you are replacing the bearing.  If it ain't broke, don't fix
it.
The shaft, I've heard can be tricky, so why open up the can o' worms.

Jay