Re: Midget Runs, then dies....Continued

To: "David E. Brown" <debrown@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Midget Runs, then dies....Continued
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 07:49:18 -0400
David E. Brown wrote:

> Hello all,
> And thank you very much to everyone who sent suggestions!  The problem
>
> is still unsolved, but definitely is electrical in nature. To
> reiterate:
>
> Turn Key, result: Car will *run* as long as starter is on, that is,
> key
> in the III position.  Turn it back to the II or run position, car
> dies..
> I went through the ignition switch and wiring diagram, but without
> success. Fuel system appears to be working normally.  The weather here
>
> has been sunny and 70's and the depression grows daily.  Your further
> thoughts regarding this situation are urgently needed to ward off the
> dreaded and impending lbc "fits", where I revert to childhood, scream
> "why, why?" and (gently, so as not to hurt it) beat on the upolstery.
>
> yours,
> Dave
>
> 77 Midget 1500- Crane ignition (installed last year, and worked great)

 Dave,
        I'm probably late with this, but - your symptoms are the classic
case of an open ballast resistor (or associated wiring). I'm unfamiliar
with the wiring of Midgets, didn't even know that they used ballast
resistors. When the key is in the START position, the resistor is
bypassed (shorted out) for greater coil voltage. These symptoms were
very well known to owners of Chrysler products of a few years back.

Bud Krueger
52TD (simple-minded ignition)