Re: New MGs and Minis in America?

To: MLishego@aol.com, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New MGs and Minis in America?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:14:13 -0400
MLishego@aol.com wrote:
> My point is this:  Give the car a chance in the American market.  I'd like to
> think that a new MG with a 1.8 would be OK on 95.  However, with more and
> more cars coming factory with V-6's and 8's, a little engine like that
> wouldn't stand a chance on a long tour on a major highway.

  I agree with most of your sentiment, but I would
like to differentiate between engine size and power.

  130hp is fairly typical for a non-turbo 4 cylinder
these days. Not many cars make under 100hp anymore,
even though engine sizes are about the same. Even
my father's Corolla makes 105hp from 1.6L. (incidently
an engine derived from one in my old 83 Corolla
that only made 70hp at that time).

  I do agree that selling a car with even the optimistically
rated 90hp of the first MGB engines would be tough. Especially
if it had sporty looks and pretentions.

  But I don't see a shift towards 6 and 8 cylinder
cars. Even a lot of modern sports cars like Celica All Tracs
and Eagle Talons make 200+ honest horsepower out of lightweight
4s. Even if the horsepower race starts again, I
don't expect it'll spell the end of the 4 any time
soon.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada