Re: New MGs and Minis in America?

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Subject: Re: New MGs and Minis in America?
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:32:47 -0400
David Knowles wrote:

> Did you know (useless info time) that the bodies of the Prowler and the
> MGF are both the responsibility of the same company (Mayflower)?

<<snip>>

> > The prowler is an ugly car.   What we need is a Supercharged MG, similar to
> >  the MGA or MGB, but with a little more Aerodynamic work...and a cool
> > interior.
> >
> I don't think the prowler is ugly.  I do think that if Chrysler designed
> a MG
> on the Eagle Talon platform, and fitted it with a magnum V-8 or V-10,
> I'd
> have to buy it!

Of Course the prowler isn't ugly to children of the sixties.  I suppose
a 16 year old may dislike the design.  I would hate to see happen to the
MG as happened to the Corvette.  We Americans get all cranked up with
size, and power and acceleration and lose sight of the functionality of
the car.

The Miata IS the world's most popular roadster,period.  With that you
don't see V8 or V10 power 'cause it ain't functional and is
unnecessary.  Here in Virginia you can't drive a Talon or a Sebring or
for that matter any "muscle car" (is there such a thing anymore) flat
out without endangering yourself or someone else or your wallet for that
matter.  I have driven an MGF 1.8i in York, UK and the BMW Z3 here(and
it's definitely a doggy BMW) and would just loooovve to try the MGF up
the Blueridge Parkway through Thorton Gap at speed.

If Rover really wanted to export the MGF to the US, it could use it's
BMW Network for Sales and Service.  The real reason probably lies in the
same thinking that kept overdrive equipt MGBs from the US market, and
that was that Leyland didn't want the competition to hurt Austin Healey
sales.

Cheers,

Michael Ohleger
'67 MGB