Re: New MGs and Minis in America?

To: MLishego@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net ("mgs@autox.team.net"),
Subject: Re: New MGs and Minis in America?
From: hert@worldaccess.nl
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 97 08:07:53 GMT
> MLishego@aol.com wrote:
> > My point is this:  Give the car a chance in the American market.  I'd like
> > think that a new MG with a 1.8 would be OK on 95.  However, with more and
> > more cars coming factory with V-6's and 8's, a little engine like that
> > wouldn't stand a chance on a long tour on a major highway.

The people who buy the US-built Z3 (the standard version comes with bad seats,
boring
interior and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner) seem not to mind... and the F is
faster than that car.

The American mass-market appears to sink back in its power-but-no-performance
attitude.
Luxury is a state of mind! Here's a great chance for real drivers' cars to come
back, and where
are the US manufacturers? And don't say Prowler, please...

Aan 14-08-97 5:14, in bericht <33F27805.C7A1FC7C@brit.ca>, Trevor Boicey
<tboicey@brit.ca>
schreef:
>   I agree with most of your sentiment, but I would
> like to differentiate between engine size and power.
>
>   130hp is fairly typical for a non-turbo 4 cylinder
> these days. Not many cars make under 100hp anymore,
> even though engine sizes are about the same. Even
> my father's Corolla makes 105hp from 1.6L. (incidently
> an engine derived from one in my old 83 Corolla
> that only made 70hp at that time).

Very true. Saab shows that a 4 cylinder can be as smooth and powerful as any 6
cylinder car. In
the hectic traffic in most European countries most small cars do fine. A rough
guess would be
that 95% have 4 cylinders and 65% have less than 100hp, but even these cruise
around the
average 75mph on the highways, with room for more. My 90hp 16-valve standard
family estate
work car (no, I won't tell) is fast when needed. "It's all in the mind, dude".

Considering the power needed for transport, and the clear end date of the
supply of gasoline,
it's a miracle that people and companies still accept any car over 1.000cc's
and 60hp. Don't
get me wrong, I'm just the same like anyone else in wanting to go fast and have
a powerful car.
But I also want my kids to have fun in the BLC's.

Peter
74B
If you did not yet know Calvin was Dutch, you must have guessed by now.