Re: Opinion on new MG

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Opinion on new MG
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:55:18 -0500
>Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:54:55 -0500
>To: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
>From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
>Subject: Re: Opinion on new MG
>
>At 12:46 PM 8/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>To cut to the chase (and let the flames start)  the car we all want is
available
>>today. The only problem is the MG octagon is nowwhere to be found, it is not
>>English "irron."  We just can't stomach the fact it is a M***a!
>
>Ray, Ray, Ray. You just dunt git it. The Miata is a nice car, a cute car,
and even a spunky car. But the Miata ain't an MG, it ain't even what an MG
would be if they'd kept building them (supposing they were true to the
MGness lineage). When you get behind the wheel of an MG, you should be able
to feel the presence of history, all the way back to Kimber and ol' #1. In
fact, you should damn near be able to tell you're in an MG with your eyes
shut. I even have reservations about the F because of my admitedly personal
criteria. I don't know much about the new MG plant. I don't know if they
share the passion and appreciation for the car they are building as most of
the workers seemed to possess when production was at Abingdon. But you could
feel it, despite the flaws of human endeavor, in every MG. I suspect the
workers on the Miata production line could care less if they were building a
Miata or a Protege.
> If the Miata (a good car, I'd take one if I wanted a slightly less souless
than usual Japanese ride)was the best MG could do. . .then better the
octagon remain nothing more than glorious history.