Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:07:50 -0400
Message text written by John McEwen
>Hi Adrian:

Your car has a chain not a belt but the idea is the same.  You can check
basic timing by bringing the car towards top dead center on the no. 1
piston while watching the timing mark on the vibration damper.  You may
need two people to do this because the marks are on the underside of the
engine.  Watch the intake valve which should start to open just as the ca=
reaches 10 degrees BTDC.  You can then check the points to see if they ar=
correctly opening at the same time.  Use the fan to turn the engine over
but take the plugs out to make the job easier.  Let me know what you find=
=2E
BTW, Barney's suggestion about the carb linkage shaft is a good one.<

John,
        Thanks for the message.  =

Now,  I am assuming #2 valve (ie second valve from the radiator) is the
intake valve.  This valve is beginning to open 10 ATDC  (AFTER TDC).  The=

CB points  are open and continue to be open when I rotate the engine to
approx. 30 ATDC.  All this time, the copper part of the rotor is pointing=

to the distributor contact for the #4 spark plug.  (I'm pushing the car
forward, BTW, to rotate the engine)
Like my dad says, everything is a...  to t..
Zero comprehension.  I haven't got past square one here.  Shouldn't the
intake valve be closed at 10 BTDC, I mean that when the spark occurs for
the compression stroke?
If #1 valve is the intake valve,then the timing mark isn't in sight when
this valve is beginning to open.

You don't suppose I put the distributor in 180 degrees backward.  If so,
you will never hear from me again - I'll go back to my Leggo set.

Regards,    Adrain
        =