Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 00:17:42 +0000
> Subject: Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm
>
> Well Folks,
>         First off, thanks for responding.  The situation is as before - I
> can't get my Midget over 3500rpm.  It just won't go fast and it starts back
> firing in the exhaust.  It seems to run fine at idle and just before I hit
> 3500rpm.
<<SNIP>>
> Any other ideas.  I'm at the point of taking it to my mechanic but he knows
> even less than me about MGs, which is scary.
>
> TIA,      Adrian

The only other thing I can think of might be a camshaft problem.
Mine would do the same kind of thing, but not until 4500 or 5000 RPM.
 The only quick check I can suggest it to take off the valve cover
and crank the engine by hand. (1-3/8" socket on the crankshaft bolt).
 See if there are any valves that obviously aren't opening as far as
others.  This was my first clue that some of my cam lobes were worn,
and when the mechanic took it out to do the (currently-ongoing)
rebuild, he commented that it was one of the worst he had ever seen,
and that he was surprised it ran as well as it did before the
bearings went south.
        After everyting is put back together, I'll tell you if it made a
difference, since the ignition and fuel systems will remain uchanged.
Scott