Re: 4WD MGBs and Messerschmidts, et al

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: 4WD MGBs and Messerschmidts, et al
From: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:52:01 -0400
>  Think of this as a party where everybody wears duct tape
>over their mouths at all times, except there is one
>megaphone.

I think of it more as a party were everyone is drunk, if we all were
sober...well then no one would be arguing about this.  Some of us leave the
party and drive drunk, then we hit a wall and say "screw the list, I am
going sober" and then they leave the list or become lurkers.

>  In order to say something, you pick up the megaphone,
>take off the duct tape and say your piece.

Interesting way of explaining it.

>  When you chat at a party it doens't have
>to be on topic so much because only a few people
>listen. But here, every little detail gets read
>by everyone. Everyone stops what they are doing
>to listen, and doesn't have a choice.

Every little detail like "DOENS'T"?  Right, ;-)

<SNIP>

>  There, only the people around him get annoyed. Here,
>everybody on the whole list has to read it. And worse,
>it's usually not even car nonsense, it's pure
>nonsense.

The whole list doesn't HAVE to read it.  No one HAS to do anything...we
don't sign a contract when we join this list saying "read every message you
get or I'll shoot you - sincerely MJB"  do we?  No, you don't have to read
any messages if you don't want to.

>  Many people, including me, subscribe to many maillists
>on many topics. Cars, computers, sports, you name it. The
>problem is that YOU might have time to read 100 bogus
>posts about just anything. That might be tolerable or
>maybe even acceptable to some. But when you are on a few
>lists, that becomes 500 bogus posts.

I think I am subscribed to 8 lists right now...totaling about 600 messages
a day.  I don't mind it when junk is throw in, sometimes it is nice after
having to listen to all the technical crap that is spewed out.  I can
delete the ones that don't interest me and I can delete the ones that make
me upset...yeah yeah, Trevor I know what you are going to say.  To make it
easier you can sort you mail my subjects, and just delete like 20 emails at
one time, if they are all about the same thing.

>  The effect is that you have to drop off some lists that
>you want to follow and feel you could profit from. This
>because everybody thinks "Oh I'll just throw this in
>as chit-chat, nobody minds it's only one more post".

I don't mind....but then again that is me, if you mind.  Well that is your
choice.

(yes Trevor and I get along fine when not discussing this topic of email
and garbage)

Cheers,

KMR

Kai Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net, 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Dialogue Internet - Intelligent Internet Solutions

IRC: irc.voicenet.com, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)