Re: 4WD MGBs and Messerschmidts, et al

To: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>
Subject: Re: 4WD MGBs and Messerschmidts, et al
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:47:16 -0400
Kai Radicke wrote:
> The whole list doesn't HAVE to read it.

  I'm still not rich enough to hire a human to filter my
email for me. Are you?

  Subject lines are never meaningful. Topics split into
useful and useless threads, with the same subject.

  Typical conversation:

Q: Hi, what shim does a wheel use?

  A: Shim, that's a great Zappa tune.
  A: I have a neighbor named Shim.
  A: 0.05 works for me, buy two they are cheap, here's an
     address of a guy who sells them.
  A: You have a neighbor named Shim? I have a neighbor
     named Steve!
  A: (something so totally inside that you have to
      know the poster in person to get)
  A: Steve hates frank Zappa, but he's a cat lover.
  A: (reply to horribly inside joke, nobody gets this)
  A: I don't have any luck with Moss brand Shims, they
     seem low quality, I prefer VB.
  A: Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Peppers

     ...ad nauseum. All the same subject. Everybody has
to read ten emails to see three that potentially are
useful. No filter will help. No delete key will recover
the time it took to decide they were useless.

> I think I am subscribed to 8 lists right now...totaling about 600 messages
> a day.

  You are also like 15, have no full time job, no family
commitments, etc, etc, etc. You have the time for this,
who else on here does?

  I'm jealous. I'd love to be able to read 600 emails a day. I
had it up to about 500 and had to cut a lot of lists free to
regain my life. That's a bigger time commitment than I
can make.

  ...which is really what pisses me off the most. Some of
those lists I dropped out of I really would like to
follow. Information is flowing that I want to possess.

  But every list has their Frank Zappa threads, and the
guys who say "You can take my Frank Zappa thread when
you pry it from my cold dead hand" like it's an affront
to their person to ask them to follow rules.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada