Re: '69 MGB value for Insurance purposes?

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: '69 MGB value for Insurance purposes?
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:24:39 -0400
BDurgin1@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-09-05 09:31:51 EDT, garyb@pentek.com writes:
>
> > Well I've seen a $20,000 B (worth every penny) and seen pictures of
> >  L20,000 B (Not for me but a 100+ point car been rebuilt 3 times)
> and
> >  just
> >  had my car (a 68) appraised for $12,000.  Which while less than
> I've put
> >  into
> >  it is probably what it would take to find a similar car in similar
> >  shape.
>
> A 68 MGB appraised at $12000????   Is LSD back????
>
> Bruce Durgin
> 64 B

Well, we can debate values but give me $12000 and take my Band I'd be
hard pressed to replace it.  It's been extensivly
restored, and is IMHO in close to if not pristine shape.  I doubt
there are too many cars like it "for sale", although given enough
time I'm sure I could find one.  Now I could buy a 5-7000 B
and take several thousand to put it into top condition with
virtually every major component rebuilt, but I'd venture
to say it would cost me more than $12,000 by the time I'm
finished.  Insurance apprasials should reflect the cost of
replacing the car with a similar model in similar shape!
Not necessarly what the "average" car is selling for,
unless it's an average car.

I seen a handfull of pristine B's over the years and doubt
very much any of there owners would part with them, so
what value do they have?  Ask Terry Williams (MGGuy
on the list) how much it would cost him to replace his 69 B
(one of the nicest I've ever seen), with one in similar
condition and see what he says?

If you don't think my car is worth the money fine!, but
if anything ever happens to it I want it insured for enough
to actually replace it, after all isn't that what insurance is
for.

Gary Burrell

--
Gary Burrell