Re: enthusiasts?

To: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Subject: Re: enthusiasts?
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:06:24 -0400
>  afford.  i consider myself somewhat of an 'enthusiast,' but i must
>  confess that the first gathering of lbc-er's that i attended, i was
>  quite disappointed.  while one or two of the group were quite
> friendly
>  and helpful in terms of advice, most looked down their noses at my

>  member of this generation that you mention), and often one encounters
>
>  a sort of snobbery at these gatherings of 'enthusiasts' that you
> refer
>  to.

I must agree with the observation of attitudes.  I am just 24 myself (no
goatee but have had a beard a few times!), and my first visit to a
British Car show had me leaving in disgust at the way people acted
towards me.  I couldn't walk up to a car or ask a question without
either being glared at or ignored.  I must admit that the second show I
went to, this past weekend, was much better...I think maybe because it
was an MG-only show, but everybody was much more friendly, and that
makes a world of difference.  But I don't know if that rude treatment
was because I am 24 or just because I somehow wasn't "one of them."
Either way, it shouldn't be that way...this isn't a competition, it is a
hobby.  It still amuses me how triumph people hate MG people, who hate
Triumph people, and they all hate Miata people...how we can't actually
spell  M**ta but have to leave out some letters, etc etc.  But I won't
go that direction...!

I did meet some great people at the shows tho, I don't want them to
think I forgot about 'em!  Dan Masters, and Mark Endicott (who has a
gorgeous Midget...I forgot...did you chrome the head too?  heh heh),
Stan Fischer, some guy who spent $4000 on a custom interior, etc etc.

Sorry if this post sounds negative, but it is sort of frustrating.
Anyway, I felt like I had to say something.  Thanks for listening!

adrian
'75 midget pieces
1500 engine parts ready to be reassembled
tranny in the shop for a check-up
body *still* getting trimmed

--
J. Adrian Barnes