Re: enthusiasts?

To: pbailey@qnet.com
Subject: Re: enthusiasts?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:28:30 EDT
On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:45:06 -0700 pat bailey <pbailey@qnet.com> writes:
>robert williford wrote:
>>
>> but i must
>>  confess that the first gathering of lbc-er's that i attended, i was
>>  quite disappointed.  while one or two of the group were quite
>
>I drove 100 miles to a british car club meeting last year ( I won't
>say
>which one) and as I drove in the restaurant I didn't see any LBCs,I
>found the people there and they were a nice bunch BUT no one drove
>their
>cars to the meeting I was kind of disapointed but as a group they
>seemed
>nice enough but I was looking foward to seeing some cars.And it seemed
>they didn't DO anything.I asked if they went on drives etc and they
>just
>didn't seem to be into DRIVING them!!It was if owning them was enough.
>I didn't go back ....Pat

Similar to what happened to me a few years back.
  My club was putting on a fund raising rally for the local School for
the Deaf & Blind. I arranged to go to a meeting of another club about 200
miles away to "pitch" the rally and garner a bit of support from that
club.
 Got good directions to the meeting site (a pub/restaraunt) and the
afternoon of the meeting, got in the Midget and took off.
 Arrived at the designated site to discover there was 1 (count 'em folks,
one!) English car in the lot, a Jag XJ6.  Went in and asked about the
club and was directed to a private meeting room.  While talking to the
members before the meeting, they were in absolute awe that I had driven
the Midget that far (with the top down, naturally).  Seems the longest
"trip" anyone of them had made in their car was a tour to the beach
earlier that summer, the mind boggleing distance of 37 miles one way.
  When  I asked who owned the Jag out front, the answer was "Oh, that
belongs to the  owner of the restaurant, he's not a member"
 Needles to say, not a one turned up at our event.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget