Re: Cam Break-in

To: saschris@flash.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cam Break-in
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:05:06 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-24 09:03:46 EDT, saschris@flash.net writes:

<<
 All this talk about prining oil pumps, etc. has me thinking. The engine on
 my 77B is due for some freshening this winter.  My project plan includes
 replacement of the low compression pistons with standard 8.7:1 comp ratio
 pistons, a new cam, and some massaging of the head.

 This work will be done without removing the engine.  Obviously this entails
 draining the sump, and removal of the oil pump.  Upon reassembly I will
 have a new rings, rod bearings, cam and lifters, etc.  Do I need to follow
 the same break-in procedures as required for a new/re-built motor?

 Regards,

 Chris Delling

My engine is currently half together and half scattered across the garage.  I
think that the extra work removing the engine  pays off in the long run just
through better access and the related improved quality of  workmanship that
is gained when one can actually see what one is working on in a position
other than laying on one's back!  The main reason for engine break-in is to
seat the rings and cam. As you are apparently planning to replace these, yes,
you will need to follow break-in procedures.

Tom Green
1979 MGB