Cleaning a MGB Oil cooler -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Cleaning a MGB Oil cooler -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 15:37:26 -0400
I have yet to clean my MG oil cooler, but on the VW's I've owned, it was
a matter of finding someone with one of those solvent tanks with a pump
in it - where there's a nozzle which sprays into a tray on top of the
solvent tank - any auto shop will have one.

In any case, I'd hold the hose into one port of the oil cooler and let
the gunk flush out the other hole.  Stand there about 2 minutes and
repeat flowing the other way.  Then you rinse in between the fins to get
all the crap out of there which impedes the airflow.  I used to rinse
mine in warm water, then blow dry with compressed air.  I always figured
what little water was left would evaporate from the crankcase when the
oil got hot.

>>> Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu> 10/08/97 05:40pm >>>
Hello to all,
        Does anyone know what the protocol is for cleaning a stock MGB
oil cooler?  I
have read that they can gum up, and I think it's probably about time to
remove mine
and overhaul it.  Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.