Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:42:01 -0700
Carol wrote:

> I am going to get a MotoTool (aka Dremel). Period. I'm getting one. You
> can't talk me out of it! ;-)

> Any ideas out there?? Remember: working on the un-bought MGA, getting
> grunge out of niches in antique hardware, remodeling computer cases... and,
> of course, other un-thought-of uses... Bang for the buck is the goal here.

Carol,
        I bought a Sears rotary tool a few years ago for repairing golf clubs.
It's
a corded, two-speed (on and off) item that came with a few tools, but not a
real
'kit'.  I use it mainly for cutting, but I have used it for routing wood,
sanding
little niches, drilling out rivets and cleaning rusty nuts & bolts.  I think it
does
a helluva job with all of those those things.  I'm not sure of the RPM's, but
it
might be about 20,000.  I've never ran into a situation where I thought, "Gee,
an
extra 10,000 RPM would be nice right now!"  I've also never wished for
adjustable
speeds, since the tool works well on full for everything. However, the cutting
wheels
are a little suspect.  They have two types, skimpy brown ones and the
heavy-duty
black ones.  I used 26 little brown ones removing two bolts on the front end of
my
MGB recently, as opposed to cutting out a rear-end, two gas tanks, and two
front
bumper bolts with the heavier black ones.  They cost a little more, but it's
worth
it.
        I had to buy a wire wheel tool to use for rust removal.  I've also
thought
about buying one of those little flexible things that allows you to hack away
in
tighter spots.  Other than that, I've been really satisfied with what I got.  I
bought it around Christmas when it was on sale for about $40, if I remember
correctly.  You might want to hold off until sale time to buy one.
        You've made a great decision.  After you use it once, you'll wonder how
you
got along without one!
--
Michael S. Lishego