RE: [Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: "'Carol'" <car@texas.net>
Subject: RE: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:39:20 -0500
Carol,=20

>From my experience with Dremels and scale model-building:

The variable speed kind that I am familiar with will not go slow enough =
(10,000 RPM minimum) to cut styrene or most plastics cleanly, it kind of =
melts it. Makes for unsightly seams. These have about 8 speeds to select =
from and you don't have to 'hold it there' you just select a speed, turn =
it on and go. There is (or at least used to be) a separate table-mounted =
variable speed switch that can be used to alter the speed of  the =
single-speed Dremels. This permits speeds quite a bit slower than 10k =
and is infinitely variable up to 30k. These work great for cutting =
plastic and make the tool a bit more flexible, but you are tethered to =
the switch. Their literature says that it won't work with the variable =
speed ones.   I don't think any of this would matter to MGs but for =
modifying computer cases, since most are now plastic, I suppose it =
might.  I used to have one of these and it "got nicked" as our friends =
across the pond would say. It is the kind of setup I am buying now since =
a friend of mine killed my variable speed. (No fault of the tool - he =
abused it and broke the chuck and casing.)  =20

For most applications besides plastic and some wood, I find that the =
more speed, the better.  Thus some of the cordless ones might not work =
as well as their top speed is slower. I have never used one however.  =
Dremel always says "make the RPMs do the work"=20

The Flex drive is very useful, reduces hand fatigue from holding the =
chunky tool, (leave it alone, Bob) and permits access to places that the =
whole tool can't get into.

I like lots of toys, but realistically, I mostly use Sanding and cutting =
discs, wire brushes, and occasionally drill bits.

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget

=20