RE: [Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Subject: RE: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: Edwin Vaughan <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:14:15 -0500 (CDT)
I have a friend that bought a single speed Dremel and used a dimmer
switch, spliced into an extension cord, to make it variable speed. When he
is ready to use it he plugs it up to this cord and...Voila! variable
speed! The only problem may be too slow of a max speed on the single speed
models. I don't know, I don't own one=20

Edwin=20

Romans 10:1

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Phil Vanner wrote:

> Carol,=20
> >From my experience with Dremels and scale model-building:
> The variable speed kind that I am familiar with will not go slow enough (=
10,000 RPM minimum) to cut styrene or most plastics cleanly, it kind of mel=
ts it. Makes for unsightly seams. These have about 8 speeds to select from =
and you don't have to 'hold it there' you just select a speed, turn it on a=
nd go. There is (or at least used to be) a separate table-mounted variable =
speed switch that can be used to alter the speed of  the single-speed Dreme=
ls. This permits speeds quite a bit slower than 10k and is infinitely varia=
ble up to 30k. These work great for cutting plastic and make the tool a bit=
 more flexible, but you are tethered to the switch. Their literature says t=
hat it won't work with the variable speed ones.   I don't think any of this=
 would matter to MGs but for modifying computer cases, since most are now p=
lastic, I suppose it might.  I used to have one of these and it "got nicked=
" as our friends across the pond would say. It is the kind of setup I am bu=
ying now since a friend of mine killed my variable speed. (No fault of the =
tool - he abused it and broke the chuck and casing.)  =20
> For most applications besides plastic and some wood, I find that the more=
 speed, the better.  Thus some of the cordless ones might not work as well =
as their top speed is slower. I have never used one however.  Dremel always=
 says "make the RPMs do the work"=20