Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: car@texas.net (Carol)
Subject: Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:57:06 -0400
If you ask me, one Dremel-type tool is the same as any other.  I had the
Black & Decker (I think) version for about 10 years before it finally
pooped out.  I replaced it with a generic, flex-shaft type, variable
speed, from Sears a few years ago.  The tools from the original work on
the new one.

The flex-shaft is easy on the hands (if you have CTS like me), but it is
a pain finding a good spot to put the motor unit while you're working.
I made myself a little strap and now hang it around my neck/shoulder to
keep it out of the way, and the shaft is long enough to reach from my
hip to the work, so it's just great.

I like the variable speed.  It makes it a more versatile tool.  Some
materials will burn up if you use a fast speed on it, and some jobs take
forever if it spins too slow.  The variable speed insures you can use it
for just about anything.

I would think the cordless ones would lose power as the battery becomes
discharged, but OTOH, sometimes the limitations of a cord are a problem
(mine is corded).

I have found that the so-called "105 pc tool kit" usually has only about
10 different tools.  For example,  they'll include 20 cut-off wheels and
call that "20 tools".  It's a little misleading.  Most of the stuff in
the tool kit is pretty handy,  and is cheaper to get as a kit than
individually, so it's good to get it.  A case is a matter of personal
preference.  I don't see why you can't use a shoe box.

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort