RE: engine considerations - Time?

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: engine considerations - Time?
From: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@value.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:57:53 -0700
Dan:

You should plan on one day to disassemble the engine.
Then you will spend a couple of hours deciding what to replace.
Then you contact a GOOD machine shop. Preferably one that has done MG
engines before. He is going to be the the one that takes the most time. He
will most likely take a week to let you know what parts to buy, and the
various sizes etc. Once you get all back from the machine shop, I would
think that you could have it done in about a week. THis all depends upon
your mechanical ability.

Use the book and follow it to the letter. If you get stuck,then ask
someone. There are several people on this list that sound like they know
what to do.
I have built approx 200 MG engines myself, and will help you if I can. If I
dont know the answer, then someone else will.

Good luck in your venture. I used to do hobby shop work when I was in the
NAVY.

Skip...............At 08:19 PM 10/23/97 -0500, DANIEL RAY wrote:
>Listers:
>What's the average time for a B engine rebuild? I know there are lots of
variables here, but for a good, "I've never done this before", take your
time and do it right but don't dawdle rebuild, how many "man-hours" er...,
"person-hours" ;) are we talking here? Rough estimate?
>Like a couple of other folks on the list, I'm military, so have access to
the "Auto Craft Shop" on post which has every standard tool one could want,
lifts, hoists, stands, etc, but its $2/day for the space, and I'm pretty
sure they'd want me to move it to the storage lot while the parts are in
the machine shop.
>Just wondering, because this is something I'd really rather do myself, if
nothing else for the experience, not to mention the $$$ factor!