RE: engine considerations - Time?

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>, "'Skip Kelsey'" <kelsey@value.net>,
Subject: RE: engine considerations - Time?
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 13:27:51 -0500
At 08:19 PM 10/23/97 -0500, DANIEL RAY wrote:
>Listers:
>What's the average time for a B engine rebuild? I know there are lots of
variables here, but for a good, "I've never done this before", take your
time and do it right but don't dawdle rebuild, how many "man-hours" er...,
"person-hours" ;) are we talking here? Rough estimate?
>Like a couple of other folks on the list, I'm military, so have access to
the "Auto Craft Shop" on post which has every standard tool one could want,
lifts, hoists, stands, etc, but its $2/day for the space, and I'm pretty
sure they'd want me to move it to the storage lot while the parts are in
the machine shop.
>Just wondering, because this is something I'd really rather do myself, if
nothing else for the experience, not to mention the $$$ factor!
>TIA
>Dan

Look about 10 hours to pull and disassemble the engine.  What really can
eat up the hours are when you try to take shortcuts when pulling engine or
when you get a frozen bolt that won't cooperate.  The first time I pulled
an engine it took me nearly 4 hours, because of frozen studs, but the
second time I got it out in around 2.5 hours.

Use that "Auto Hobby Shop" well.  I wish I had one to use.  I had to do
some environmental work recently for the Navy, and I got inside one of
those shops.  Nice!!!

Do the work yourself, if you have the tools, space, and you have some
mechanical ability.  If you're used to plucking away on the computer and
sitting in front of the A/C all day, it might be another story, but I doubt
anyone on this list is the definitive office-exec.

jay