Re: MG trip to England

To: rkegg@juno.com
Subject: Re: MG trip to England
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 21:59:32 EST
A couple of more comments, having done this myself last year:

Don't take your boss as a passenger, especially if he doesn't know you.
You'll scare him too much as you hit the curbs on the left side of the
road occasionally.  Just ask my passenger, Art Ziesk, about this.  Also
difficult is judging distances to parked cars on narrow roadways.  It's
not as bad as it sounds, though.  Everything is 3/4 scale to an American;
the roads, the cars, the buildings.

Randall notes that "the fast lane is the right lane, and the slow lane is
the left lane. Just the opposite from the US."  Know also that these
distinctions MEAN something there.  Stay out of the faster lanes unless
you are PASSING someone, or are willing to maintain speeds appropriate to
your lane.  British drivers are generally better than US drivers and are
less tolerant of fools that poke along in the fast lane.

The Heritage Museum at Gaydon is well worth going and braving the roads.
Although public transport is excellent in Britain, when I was there I
couldn't figure out a way to get to Gaydon in reasonable time via buses,
etc.

Good luck and have a great trip!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX