Re: One last American car question. (Still no LBC)

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: One last American car question. (Still no LBC)
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 00:16:26 -0500
Hi Scott:

Thanks for your reply.  The Corvette would still be the winner because they
were produced continuously but one numeric year was skipped - 1983 - as an
advertising ploy in order to introduce the new series.  The same idea was
actually introduced by Mustang with their '64 1/2 which was actually an
early '65 model if we assume that new models were introduced at that time
in September.  Incidentally, that idea was not new as Chysler had to use
the same system in 1949.  The 1949 was a major change from the old post-war
designed '46-48 models.  Thus the early '49s were actually '48s but were
sold as First Series '49s.  The real '49s were introduced in the spring as
Second Series '49s.

The Corvettes were all lumped together from '53 through '62 because the
chassis was still '53 Chev.  Those 'Vettes used kingpin front ends like an
MG.  The minor changes to the body were just that - minor.  Underneath it
was still the same car.

John