Re: One last American car question. (Still no LBC)

To: jpquinn@cyberramp.net
Subject: Re: One last American car question. (Still no LBC)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:02:21 +0000
> What was the production car it went in?

> At 10:04 AM 1/5/98 -0800, Andy Ramm wrote:
> >I believe (though my memory what it is these days...) the most powerful
> >engine Chevy (GM) offered was the LS-6 designation, which was a
> >big-block 454 cid motor.  It had around 450 HP or some ridiculous
> >number.  I'm not sure how many actually shipped to customers in cars,
> >but I believe there were a few.
> >

> >> The most powerful engine GM ever made for a production car was for the
> >> Vette between the years of 90 - 95, they made the Vette with the ZR1 engine
> >> which produced 405HP if I'm not mistaken.  It was offered as an upgrade to
> >> the trim package.  T
> >
> >--
Actually, there was an LS-7 also.  It was an aluminum-block 454.  I
think that less than a dozen (seven, maybe?) were actually installed
in cars, all as COPO (Central Office Production Orders).  I can't
remember if they went in the Corvettes or the Camaros, but ten years
ago, you could buy one new in the crate from Chevy.  Don't know the
horsepower rating, or if they are still available, but I'm sure power
was up in the 400s.
Scott