Re: Transmission Leak

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: Transmission Leak
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:30:38 EST
Dan,
 The hole is there for one main reason.
(Are you ready for this?)
It's to let any oil that may leak, out of the bell housing.
 The Cottor pin is there to keep the hole opened. The theory was (is)
that normal vibrations, would cause the cotter pin to vibrate and keep
any sludge from building up around the hole and blocking it.
  Don't seal the hole or anything. With enough oil in the bell housing,
you will have MAJOR clutch slippage.
  In all probability the oil is originating at the rear main seal or the
tranny input shaft seal/gasket.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget