Re: Clicking sound...

To: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clicking sound...
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:34:01 -0500
At 05:03 PM 1/22/98 -0600, Blake Wylie wrote:

>Just today, I started noticing a clicking sound coming from the engine

>compartment....I quickly opened it up in the Wal-Mart parking lot, in the

>rain to see where it might be coming from.  It seemed to come from the

>general direction of the alternator (although I could be mistaken).  I

>haven't had any time to go into it yet, but I was just needing some info

>before I might dive in and mess something up.  ;)

>Anyone have any ideas?  What would need to be done if it is the alternator?

>Any suggestions?

Don't have the foggiest idea what could be wrong, but you can easily find out by

taking a water hose about 3 feet long and hold one end to your ear and the
other end to the engine bay.  Keep searching until you isolate the noise.  You
can also use a piece of cardboard to block off certain parts of the engine and
then isolate the noise to

a certain area.

the question is whether the noise is coming from the inside of the engine or is
outside of the engine.  If inside, maybe valves.  If outside, maybe the belts,
or alternator, or maybe the distributor.  Just guessing.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.