Re: MGB GT Questions

To: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Subject: Re: MGB GT Questions
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:57:15 -0800 (PST)
Dear Gary,

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Gary Davis wrote:

=%OGreetings . . . .
=%O
=%OI appreciate the help I've received to date regarding my purchase of a '70
=%OGT.  I have a couple of other questions.
=%O
=%ODoes the rear seat bottom in the GT attach to the body or does it just lay
=%Oon the body?

No, it just sits there and is loosely attached with lift-the-dot snaps
on straps connected to the seat.
=%OThe panels that cover the wheel well extend down toward the floor area
=%Oof the hatchback but the panels do not extend all the way to the floor.
=%OYou can see down behind the whell well.  Is there a piece missing or is
=%Othat the way its supposed to be?

There should be some black covers (at least for a 1970 GT) that are made
of some strange material that looks like (at least to me) Asphalt
impregnated pressboard. I still have mine, but they are soooo grotty I
haven't replaced them as they are unbelievably NASTY. Anyway, I have to
fiddle with the electrics and fuel lines in there all the time too, so
there was really no point in putting those nasty deteriorated things back
in there. If anyone knows what they really were made of, I'd like to know.
My impression is that British manufacturers used materials not out of
present availability or serious engineering considerations but out of
traditional practice as I doubt anyone other than the British would
have used that stuff that those bits are made of after (or even during!)
WWII! It probably came from some now extinct organism in some obscure Brit
colony.

=%O
=%OWithin the last month, there was a discussion concerning replacing rear
=%Odampers with tube shocks.  Would the author (or anyone else) please
=%Orepeat the discussion of the process and the tube shocks that were
=%Oused?
=%O
I forwarded the message I got telling me how to replace them to you
separately.

=%OThanks - Gary Davis
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II