Re: Our LBC History

To: "HLY DOC" <HLYDOC@aol.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Our LBC History
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:20:26 -0500
>Thought I would start something new.
>Thought it would be a lot of fun to hear why we started to drive British
>Cars,
>or what it is that attracts us to these little cars that don't always start ,
>always leak and when they cease to go forward it is always at the most
>unopertune moment.  But through all this we treat them better than our kids
>pay more attention to them than our spouses.

Well, in my case it was cuz my SO came into some money (a house her
family owned was flattened in a tornado- insurance settlement) and we
decided she needed a car. I had always liked LBC's and tried to steer her
in that direction. So in the spring of 1978 we headed off to Denver to
find a car. First stop an MG dealership!! We looked at a B and a couple
of Midgets, elsewhere we saw a TR6, a Spit and an older Jag. Since the
SO's nickname is Midget (she's 4'10") she wanted her name sake. We went
back and bought the first car we looked at, a blue 75 Midget w/8,500
miles. I think we paid like $2300 for it. She claims it fits her. I say
it fits me (6'1" 190lbs) like a fine driving glove. We used it as a dialy
driver for the better part of 8 years. Then some young kid stopped short
on rain slick concrete and we needed another one. Bought the 78 Midget in
80 or 81 and have had it ever since. Was a daily driver till 91, after we
moved to PA and it wouldn't pass inspection and we hadn't enough money to
fix it. Stayed parked til last year, when I got it ready to go down the
Blue Ridge Parkway. Now it gets driven nearly every weekend.
I think what attracted me to them is the "sportyness". What's kept it in
the house, even during my college days when my parents were telling us to
sell it for cash money, is the enjoyment of the cruise. (as well as the
fact that is a legacy from the SO's childhood, the house was the one she
grew up in).

Luv 'em or leave 'em.

Larry Macy
78 Midget